illegal immigration
US can stop border-crossing terrorists with – Obama administration policies?

Uzbek “special interest aliens” in Tapachula, Mexico after crossing from Guatemala on their way to the U.S. Southwest Border. January 2022 photo by Todd Bensman
By Todd BensmanĀ as published June 12, 2024Ā by The New York Post
Near-misses from the worst mass migration border crisis in American history keep coming at us like machine-gun fire.
This month, FBI counterterrorism agentsĀ arrested six Tajikistani nationals on terrorism chargesĀ after they illegally crossed the southwest border from Mexico, apparently foiling a terror plot linked to the ISIS-K terror group in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
The arrests came soon after a Russian who illegally crossed the border wasĀ convicted and sentenced in CaliforniaĀ on terrorism charges for buying weaponry for an al Qaeda group in Syria, as the FBI said he would have gone kinetic had he not been charged.
In May, a Jordanian national who illegally crossed the border from MexicoĀ staged a vehicle ramming attackĀ on Marine Corps Base Quantico that all involved federal agenciesĀ refuse to publicly rule outĀ as a terror incident.
This year, Border Patrol agents overrun by the mass migration crisis haveĀ accidentally released at least seven immigrantsĀ who were on the FBIās terrorism watch list when they illegally crossed the southern border, according to multiple reports, sparking frantic manhunts to capture them.
Thatās just a fractional few of many disturbing cases.
For years prior to the historic mass migration crisis that President Biden kicked off on his inauguration day in 2021, the US media laughed off the threat of terrorist border infiltration as the stuff of baseless right-wing fear-mongering ā such as when then-President Donald Trump said in 2018 that Middle Easterners were moving with US-bound caravans through Central America and Mexico.
Much good company has joined the once-ridiculed Paul Reveres, including FBI Director Christopher Wray and the apparently spooked authors of aĀ surprisingly anxious Foreign Affairs magazine essayĀ published this week.
But while many are sounding border infiltration alarms, few have offered solutions.
Perhaps Republican border hawks should turn to an unexpected ally: Democratic Party stalwart Jeh Johnson, President Barack Obamaās secretary of homeland security.
In 2016, during his final months in office, Johnson became a true believer in the threat posed by āspecial interest aliens,ā or SIAs: border-crossing migrants from 35 to 40 nations where Islamic terrorist groups are active.
After 9/11, one of the most important counterterrorism protocols implemented on the border required agents to detain all SIAs until they could undergo face-to-face interviews to determine if these total strangers harbored potential terror connections or intent.
In June 2016, Johnson was so fearful about SIA border crossers that he sent aĀ memorandumĀ to his top deputies demanding their āimmediate attentionā to āthe increased global movement of SIAs.ā
He ordered the formation of a āmulti-DHS Component SIA Joint Action Groupā that would assess the entire program and create a tightly coordinated international action plan to ācounter the threats posed by the smuggling of SIAs.ā
āI want to ensure we are bringing the full resources of the Department to bear in a coordinated manner on the issue of SIAs,ā he wrote, to build on existing counter-SIA programs.
Johnsonās completely prudent plan to intensify the vetting of SIAs at the border and to take down terrorist smugglers in other countries got lost in the chaos of the transition to Donald Trumpās presidency.
His intended revamp never happened ā and the catastrophic Biden-engineered mass migration crisis vaporized whatever was left of it.
While SIA traffic over the border had previously amounted to 3,000 to 4,000 individuals annually, SIA traffic since 2021 has reached an unimaginableĀ 70,000 to 80,000Ā per year.
Federal intelligence and law enforcement officials could no longer interview even a smidgeon of those SIAs, who are mostly waved into the country with no interviews.
āDue to massive numbers of illegal aliens overwhelming CBP, in-depth face-to-face interviews are nonexistent,ā former Chief Border Patrol Agent Rodney ScottĀ testifiedĀ before the House Judiciary Committee last September on the subject of terrorist border infiltration.
The first fix is, of course, almost too obvious to mention: Reduce the total numbers of illegal aliens pouring over the southwest border.
But the far less obvious fix is this one, regardless of how many are crossing: We must resurrect Johnsonās 2016 initiative to interview SIAs before they are released on asylum, and target their smugglers for prosecution and prison.
As importantly, we must adequately fund and equip this massive effort ā no matter how many SIAs arrive.
If Johnsonās 2016 plan was nonpartisan enough for the Obama administration, it should be good enough for the Biden DHS, or a Trump one. And, we can hope, not too late to stop the next terrorism attempt within the United States.
Todd Bensman, a senior national security fellow at the Center for Immigration Studies, is the author of āAmericaās Covert Border Warā (2021).
illegal immigration
Court attempts to halt Trump deportations, El Salvador president says ‘too late’

From The Center Square
By
A class action lawsuit was filed on Saturday against the Trump administration after President Donald Trump signed anĀ executive orderĀ invoking the Enemy Aliens Act to target, arrest and remove violent Venezuelan prison gang members, Tren de Aragua (TdA), from the U.S.
The lawsuit was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation on behalf of five Venezuelans illegally in the country who were detained in Texas and New York. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
On Saturday, nearly 300 violent illegal foreign nationals were removed from the U.S. and arrived in El Salvador with the cooperation of El Salvadoran president Nayib Bukele after reaching an agreement with Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
āThe first 238 members of the Venezuelan criminal organization, Tren de Aragua, arrived in our country,ā BukeleĀ said in a postĀ on X. āThey were immediately transferred to CECOT, the Terrorism Confinement Center, for a period of one year (renewable).ā
El Salvador also received 23 MS-13 gang members from the U.S. who were wanted by Salvadoran authorities, Bukele said. They include two ringleaders, one of whom āis a member of the criminal organizationās highest structure.ā Those sent to El Salvador by the U.S. will help Bukeleās government āfinalize intelligence gathering and go after the last remnants of MS-13, including its former and new members, money, weapons, drugs, hideouts, collaborators and sponsors.
āAs always, we continue advancing in the fight against organized crime. But this time, we are also helping our allies, making our prison system self-sustainable, and obtaining vital intelligence to make our country an even safer place. All in a single action. May God bless El Salvador, and may God bless the United States,ā he said.
The U.S. government is paying a small fee to detain them, Bukele said, and the prison is also making money because it requires inmates to work. These additional inmates, ācombined with the production already being generated by more than 40,000 inmates engaged in various workshops and labor under the Zero Idleness program, will help make our prison system self-sustainable,ā he said, noting that it costs $200 million a year to maintain.
In response, Rubio thanked Bukele saying, āEl Salvador has agreed to hold the violent criminals āin their very good jails at a fair price that will also save our taxpayer dollars. President Nayib Bukele is not only the strongest security leader in our region, heās also a great friend of the U.S.ā
In an emergency hearing held on Saturday, a federal judge ruled that deportations of violent Venezuelans be temporarily halted and those who were illegally in the country and already removed be returned. The ACLU said the order blocked the administration āfrom deporting anyone under the Alien Enemies Act while the case proceeds. Flights carrying Venezuelan immigrants the DHS attempted to deport have been ordered to turn around and return to the U.S.ā
A U.S. federal judge has no jurisdiction over foreign governments.
In response, BukeleĀ postedĀ on X, āOopsie ā¦ Too late,ā with a laughing emoji.
Bukele also posted videos and pictures of them arriving in El Salvador in handcuffs. The video shows them being met by El Salvadoran military wearing riot gear and transported in armored vehicles to CECOT. The videos depict El Salvadoran officials lifting up their shirts to show tattoos of gang member affiliation, officials shaving the heads of kneeling inmates and their admittance as CECOT inmates.
Today, the first 238 members of the Venezuelan criminal organization, Tren de Aragua, arrived in our country. They were immediately transferred to CECOT, the Terrorism Confinement Center, for a period of one year (renewable).
The United States will pay a very low fee for them,ā¦ pic.twitter.com/tfsi8cgpD6
— Nayib Bukele (@nayibbukele) March 16, 2025
Cooperation between the U.S. and El Salvador expanded under Trump and Rubio, representing a reversal of Biden administration policy that used taxpayer money and planes to transport illegal foreign nationals into the U.S.
Trump has been aggressively targeting of TdA after a recordĀ more than 1 million VenezuelansĀ illegally entered the U.S. under the Biden administration, including TdA members expanding operations in at least 22 states, The Center Square first reported.
Under the Trump administration, Venezuelan repatriation flights also began, paid for by the Venezuelan government, negotiated by the Trump administration, The Center SquareĀ reported.
illegal immigration
“The Invasion of our Country is OVER”: Trump reports lowest illegal crossings in history

MxM News
Quick Hit:
President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that illegal immigrant apprehensions at the southern border plummeted to just 8,326 in Februaryāmarking a historic low. In a Truth Social post, Trump declared, “The Invasion of our Country is OVER,” crediting his administrationās tough enforcement measures for the drastic reduction.
Key Details:
-
The figure represents a staggering 96% drop from December 2023, when illegal crossings under Joe Bidenās administration peaked at 301,981.
-
Trump emphasized that those caught illegally entering the U.S. were “quickly ejected from our Nation or, when necessary, prosecuted for crimes against the United States of America.”
-
Trump credited executive action, including an emergency border declaration, military deployments, the end of birthright citizenship, and a crackdown on sanctuary cities, for the sharp decline in illegal entries.
Diving Deeper:
President Trumpās first full month back in office saw a seismic shift in border security policy, leading to what he called āthe lowest number of illegal border crossings in decades.ā In a Truth SocialĀ postĀ on Saturday, Trump highlighted the stark contrast between his administration and Bidenās, stating:
“This means that very few people came ā The Invasion of our Country is OVER. In comparison, under Joe Biden, there were 300,000 Illegals crossing in one month, and virtually ALL of them were released into our Country. Thanks to the Trump Administration Policies, the Border is CLOSED to all Illegal Immigrants.”
Upon taking office, Trump signed multiple executive orders that significantly curtailed illegal immigration. These include reinstating policies that allow expedited removals, deploying U.S. troops to the southern border, resuming construction of the border wall, and ending Biden-era programs that facilitated migrant entry through humanitarian parole. Additionally, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) reversed previous Biden restrictions on Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), leading to a sharp uptick in interior enforcement.
According to DHS dataĀ obtainedĀ by Fox News Digital, ICE interior arrests skyrocketed by 137% in just three weeks, with 11,791 arrests recorded from Jan. 20th to Feb. 8thācompared to 4,969 during the same period in 2024. High-profile raids in sanctuary cities have also yielded thousands of arrests, including gang members and violent offenders.
The economic impact of Trumpās border policies is already being felt. Federal funds that had been allocated to house illegal immigrants in hotels, particularly in cities like New York, are being clawed back. A recent executive order directed all federal agencies to identify and cut off taxpayer-funded programs that benefit illegal immigrants.
Despite congressional gridlock preventing any new border legislation, Trumpās administration has relied solely on executive authority to crack down on illegal immigration. His message to potential border crossers remains clear: āAnyone who tries to illegally enter the U.S.A. will face significant criminal penalties and immediate deportation.ā
-
2025 Federal Election18 hours ago
Mark Carney refuses to clarify 2022 remarks accusing the Freedom Convoy of āseditionā
-
2025 Federal Election22 hours ago
Poilievre To Create āCanada Firstā National Energy Corridor
-
Bruce Dowbiggin20 hours ago
Are the Jays Signing Or Declining? Only Vladdy & Bo Know For Sure
-
2025 Federal Election21 hours ago
Fixing Canadaās immigration system should be next governmentās top priority
-
Daily Caller19 hours ago
Biden Administration Was Secretly More Involved In Ukraine Than It Let On, Investigation Reveals
-
2025 Federal Election2 days ago
Canada Continues to Miss LNG Opportunities: Why the World Needs Our LNG ā and Weāre Not Ready
-
Health2 days ago
Selective reporting on measles outbreaks is a globalist smear campaign against Trump administration.
-
2025 Federal Election2 days ago
Mark Carney is trying to market globalism as a āCanadian value.ā Will it work?