Connect with us
[the_ad id="89560"]

International

Trump declared winner of Iowa caucus; DeSantis beats out Haley for second place

Published

7 minute read

From LifeSiteNews

By Ashley Sadler

The former president reportedly took home 51% of the vote. He has consistently held a commanding lead over his nearest competitors.

DES MOINES, Iowa — The Associated Press called the Iowa caucuses for former U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday night, with Trump scoring an unprecedented victory in the nation’s first nominating contest of the 2024 election cycle.  The victory came after Republican voters in Iowa took to the ballots despite blizzard conditions as the fight for the White House begins to take shape.

The Associated Press called the election for Trump just 30 minutes after voting began. Early numbers showed Trump taking home more than 50% of the vote while Haley and DeSantis struggled for second place with roughly 20% of the vote each.

Later Monday night, Trump was the decisive victor with 51%. DeSantis was reported as having nabbed second place with just over 21% of the vote, edging out Haley who scored 19%.

Ramaswamy, in fourth, has officially dropped out of the race and announced his endorsement of Trump.

Responding to the news of his victory on Truth Social, Trump wrote, “THANK YOU IOWA, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!”

Reuters noted that the former president’s massive win in Iowa represents “an unprecedented margin for an Iowa Republican contest.” Prior to Monday night’s victory, the outlet noted, “The largest margin of victory for an Iowa Republican caucus had been 12.8 percentage points for Bob Dole in 1988.”

While Trump has been the far-and-away favorite of Republicans by polling data, it remains to be seen how good of a predictor the Iowa results will be given some unique conditions for the state this year.

Election watchers had predicted that the Iowa caucuses could suffer from low participation due to record-breaking winter weather that would likely keep many Iowans indoors and off icy roads.

On Sunday, Trump joked to rally-goers that voting was so important that Republicans should head to their voting locations even if they had to risk death.

“If you want to save America from crooked Joe Biden, you must go caucus tomorrow,” Trump told the crowd. “You can’t sit home. If you’re sick as a dog, even if you vote and then pass away, it’s worth it.”

“You get up, you’re voting,” he said.

“You be safe and all, you’re going to be safe,” Trump told supporters. “Again, all indoors, it’s going to be all indoors. But you gotta get up, you gotta vote because it has nothing to do with anything but taking our nation back, and that’s the biggest thing there is.”

Trump’s big Monday night win comes as the Republican field has significantly winnowed, even ahead of Ramaswamy’s decision to step off the campaign trail. Facing an insurmountable lead by Trump, Haley and DeSantis have been left merely fighting for second place.

After a high-profile endorsement and cash influx from the Americans for Prosperity Action super PAC last month, Haley began to outpace DeSantis for the second-place slot behind Trump, who has consistently held a crushing double-digit lead over his nearest competitor. The latest polling data has appeared to line up with the Iowa results, showing Trump far ahead of Haley, followed by DeSantis in third place and entrepreneur Ramaswamy bringing up the rear.

The results come even as Trump has kept an uncharacteristically low profile in the lead-up to the primaries, contending with a barrage of legal challenges and even efforts to remove him from state primary ballots while nonetheless enjoying extremely high levels of support among the Republican base. DeSantis’ stagnant campaign has meanwhile proved a disappointment to supporters who rallied behind him after his strong conservative leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic and staunch advocacy for right-wing cultural issues. 

While Trump appears an almost definite pick for the nomination, speculation has abounded concerning who he will choose as a running mate.

The former president’s recent comments lashing out at pro-MAGA Ramaswamy have dampened rumors he might choose the young firebrand for his second in command. Meanwhile, Haley’s gains in the polls had made her the subject of vice presidential rumors. Choosing Haley could signal that Trump is looking to move further to the center rather than the right as he aims to secure a second term in the White House, something pro-life Americans have already noticed as Trump has touted abortion exceptions and rejected a federal ban.

However, Haley has sought to distance herself from the speculation, and on Sunday Trump appeared to dismiss her, suggesting the 51-year-old wasn’t “tough enough” to handle the duties of the presidency, particularly dealing with dictators in nations like Russia and China.

Meanwhile, the Iowa caucuses are just the start of the Republican primaries. Voters in New Hampshire will have the next opportunity to choose who they would like to lead the party. The New Hampshire primary election will take place January 23.

Business

Trump orders 10% baseline tariff on imports, closes de minimis loophole

Published on

From The Center Square

By 

Reciprocal tariffs higher on many nations

President Donald Trump on Wednesday put the biggest piece of his new trade policy in effect by signing executive orders that place a 10% baseline tariff on all imports and much higher rates on nations that put taxes on U.S. products.

It could be the opening salvo in a global trade war, or, as Trump sees it, the beginning of a “Golden Age” for U.S. trade.

Trump also closed the small value packages loophole that allowed China to avoid taxes on packages valued at less than $800. Companies such as Temu and Shein used the loophole to ship billions of dollars worth of products directly to U.S. consumers and avoid paying the tax, as The Center Square previously reported.

President Trump speaks about tariffs at a Make America Wealthy Again event

Trump’s moves on Wednesday, which he termed “Liberation Day” for U.S. trade, marked the most significant shift in U.S. trade policy since the end of World War II.

In a speech from the White House’s Rose Garden, Trump said foreign nations for decades have stolen American jobs, factories and industries. He said the tariffs would bring in new jobs, factories and industries and return the U.S. to a manufacturing superpower.

“Our country and its taxpayers have been ripped off for more than 50 years,” Trump said. “But it is not going to happen anymore.”

Trump’s supporters praised the trade overhaul. U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene said it was time for foreign nations to pay up.

“If you want to do business in America, you need to play by our rules,” she said. “For too long, American businesses, big and small, have been ripped off by bad trade deals and unfair competition. President Trump is putting a stop to it. He’s standing up for our workers, our companies and our consumers.”

Critics slammed Trump’s trade plans.

“Donald Trump may want to call this ‘Liberation Day,’ but there is nothing liberating for working families who are grappling with the high costs of food, housing, and utilities,” said Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, a Democrat. “Tariffs are a tax. They are a tax on working families, a tax on groceries, and a tax on other everyday necessities.”

Other countries planned their own responses. The European Union plans to retaliate with its own measures.

“Europe has not started this confrontation,” EU boss Ursula von der Leyen said in a speech. “We do not necessarily want to retaliate but, if it is necessary, we have a strong plan to retaliate and we will use it.”

She said tariffs are taxes “paid by the people.”

“But Europe has everything to protect our people and our prosperity,” she wrote on X. “We will always promote & defend our interests and values. And we will always stand up for Europe.”

China, the world’s second-largest economy, said Monday that it was planning to coordinate its response to U.S. tariffs with Japan and South Korea.

Japan’s Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba said Tuesday that he was willing to fly to the U.S. to meet with Trump to get an exemption for Japanese vehicle makers. He also said the government will take steps to minimize the impact of U.S. tariffs on Japanese industries and jobs.

Trump will impose a 10% tariff on all countries that will take effect April 5, 2025 at 12:01 a.m. EDT. Trump will impose an individualized reciprocal tariff on the countries with which the United States has the largest trade deficits, including China, India and Vietnam, among others. All other countries will continue to be subject to the 10% tariff baseline, according to the White House.

“These tariffs will remain in effect until such a time as President Trump determines that the threat posed by the trade deficit and underlying nonreciprocal treatment is satisfied, resolved, or mitigated,” according to a White House fact sheet.

Trump’s executive order also gives him authority to increase the tariffs

“if trading partners retaliate” or “decrease the tariffs if trading partners take significant steps to remedy non-reciprocal trade arrangements and align with the United States on economic and national security matters,” according to the White House.

“Foreign cheaters have stolen our jobs, ransacked our factories and foreign scavengers have torn apart our once beautiful American dream,” Trump said in the Rose Garden.

For China, the tariff rate will be about 34% on imports from the world’s most populous nation. For European Union countries, it will be 20%. For Japan, the duty will be 24%. Imports from India will get a 26% tariff. Cambodia will get hit with a 49% tariff, among the highest Trump outlined on Wednesday.

For months, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has warned that tariffs could increase costs for U.S. consumers and hurt businesses. Neil Bradley, the chamber’s chief policy officer, said businesses large and small don’t want tariffs.

“What we have heard from business of all sizes, across all industries, from around the country is that these broad tariffs are a tax increase that will raise prices for American consumers and hurt the economy,” he said.

Last week, Trump announced a 25% tariff on imported automobiles and auto parts, duties that he said would be “permanent.” The White House said it expects the auto tariffs on cars and light-duty trucks will generate up to $100 billion in federal revenue.

Trump said he hopes to bring in $600 billion to $1 trillion in tariff revenue in the next year or two. Trump also said the tariffs would lead to a manufacturing boom in the U.S., with auto companies building new plants, expanding existing plants and adding jobs.

Continue Reading

Catherine Herridge

FBI imposed Hunter Biden laptop ‘gag order’ after employee accidentally confirmed authenticity: report

Published on

From LifeSiteNews

By Doug Mainwaring

Two independent journalists found that the FBI could have set the record straight by confirming the laptop was real and the subject of an ongoing criminal probe. Instead, FBI leadership allowed the false narrative about the laptop to gain momentum.

In a shocking report published on X, independent journalists Catherine Herridge and Michael Shellenberger revealed that an FBI agent accidentally confirmed to Twitter (now known as “X”) that the Hunter Biden laptop story was real less than three weeks before the 2020 election.

“For the first time, and with a change of administration, the FBI has now turned over to GOP House investigators the internal chat messages that show Bureau leadership actively silenced its employees,” Herridge and Shellenberger wrote on X.

“The FBI, which had a special task force to counter foreign election interference, could have set the record straight by confirming the laptop was real and the subject of an ongoing criminal probe,” the journalists explained. “Instead, FBI leadership allowed the false narrative about the laptop to gain momentum.”

“In 2024, an FBI official admitted to House investigators that an FBI employee had inadvertently confirmed the authenticity of Hunter Biden’s laptop to Twitter on a conference call the morning of October 14, 2020, the day the New York Post published a story about it,” Shellenberger wrote.

“I recall that when the question came up, an intelligence analyst assigned to the Criminal Investigative Division said something to the effect of, ‘Yes, the laptop is real,’” testified the then-Russia Unit Chief of the FBI’s Foreign Influence Task Force in a closed-door transcribed interview,” according to Herridge and Shellenberger. “I believe it was an (Office of General Counsel) attorney assigned to the (Foreign Influence Task Force) stepped in and said, ‘We will not comment further on this topic.’”

They recounted this exchange:

An individual whose name is blacked out, tells Elvis M. Chan, the San Francisco-based FBI special agent tasked with interacting with social media companies, there was a “gag order” on discussion of Hunter Biden’s laptop. In a separate exchange, Chan is told “official response no commen(t).”

In the chat, the FBI officials showed awareness that the laptop may have contained evidence of criminal activity.

Asked Chan, “actually what kind of case is the laptop thing? corruption? campaign financing?”

Another FBI employee responds, “CLOSE HOLD —” after which the response is redacted.

To which Chan responds, “oh crap,” appearing to underscore the serious nature of the probe, which included felony tax charges. Chan adds, “ok. It ends here.”

In the same conversation, Chan is asked if “anyone discussing that NYPost article on the Biden’s?”  Chan responds, “yes we are. c d confirmed an active investigation. No further comment.”  “C D” is likely shorthand for the FBI’s Criminal Division.

Said another FBI employee, whose name was redacted by the Bureau, “please do not discuss biden matter.”

It’s now common knowledge that national security agencies — including the FBI and CIA, Big Tech, and much of corporate media — colluded in suppressing truth and manufacturing lies in order to drag their preferred candidate, Joe Biden, across the finish line in the 2020 presidential election.

Incriminating evidence discovered on the laptop that Hunter Biden had long ago abandoned at a computer repair shop — reported on in two devastating pieces by the New York Post at the time — was ignored by mainstream media, fraudulently dismissed by former national intelligence officials, and essentially made inaccessible to the public by Big Tech social media sites Twitter and Facebook.

The computer contained emails showing that then-Vice President Biden had come under the influence of bad actors in Ukraine and Communist China and had used his powerful position in the Obama administration to pressure government Ukrainian officials into firing a prosecutor who was investigating the energy firm, Burisma, which was paying the younger Biden $50,000 per month to sit on its board of directors.

Continue Reading

Trending

X