Connect with us
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=12]

Daily Caller

Migrants Won’t Be Putting Their Feet Up At One NYC Hotel Much Longer

Published

4 minute read

 

From the Daily Caller News Foundation

By Jason Hopkins

A notorious hotel that was once at the epicenter of New York City’s illegal immigration crisis will begin shutting down its migrant arrival center, signaling how much has changed since migrants first began arriving en masse to the Big Apple under the Biden administration.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced Monday his administration is closing the Roosevelt Hotel’s Asylum Arrival Center and Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Center. The decision follows a monumental drop in the number of asylum seekers arriving weekly in the city, a change the mayor attributed to sound policies that managed the crisis. 

“Thanks to the successful strategies we implemented in our city and policies we advocated for nationally, we’ll be closing this site that served new arrivals since the height of this crisis in 2023,” Adams announced on social media.

“Our city was receiving 4,000 migrants each week during the height of the crisis, and now we’re down to approximately 350 new arrivals each week,” Adams continued.

While the immigration crisis affected every major city and state during the Biden administration, New York City — the largest sanctuary city in the United States — quickly became the destination of choice for hundreds of thousands of migrants arriving at the southern border. In total, over 230,000 migrants have flocked to the Big Apple since the spring of 2022, costing the city around $7 billion in expenses.

In response to the crisis, New York City officials in 2023 reopened and repurposed the Roosevelt Hotel — which had closed down during the COVID-19 pandemic — into a migrant shelter. More than 75% of the asylum seekers who ended up in the city’s care were processed at the Roosevelt Hotel, Adams said.

The Roosevelt Hotel, which soon became a symbol of  the city’s migrant dilemma, also served as a nexus of illegal migrant crime. Dozens of migrants were arrested at the once-swanky hotel in just the first few months it re-opened as a migrant shelter and groups of migrants beat down two New York Police Department officers in May.

The hotel was also the temporary home of Jose Ibarra, a Venezuelan illegal migrant who lived at the location in 2023 on the taxpayer dime before taking a “humanitarian” flight provided by city officials to Georgia. Ibarra was later found guilty of killing Georgia nursing student Laken Riley in what authorities described as an attempted rape that became deadly as the 22-year-old was out for a run.

The Roosevelt Hotel is one of many migrant shelters in New York City that will be closing down in the coming months, Adams said Monday. By June, city officials will have shut down a total of 53 emergency migrant shelters.

“The fact that, within a span of year, we are closing 53 sites and shuttering all of our tent-based facilities shows both our continued progress and our ability, when faced with unprecedented challenges, to do what no other city can,” the mayor said in a public statement.

Amid the ongoing migrant crisis in the city, Adams has grown increasingly hawkish on illegal immigration — at least in rhetoric. He’s met with Trump administration border czar Tom Homan on two separate occasions and has voiced support for rolling back sanctuary city policies that restrict cooperation between local police and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Following his second meeting with Homan earlier in February, the mayor declared that he was preparing an executive order that would allow ICE agents onto Rikers Island, the city’s largest jail. However, no executive order has yet to materialize since that announcement.

Todayville is a digital media and technology company. We profile unique stories and events in our community. Register and promote your community event for free.

Follow Author

Business

‘Time To Make The Patient Better’: JD Vance Says ‘Big Transition’ Coming To American Economic Policy

Published on

JD Vance on “Rob Schmitt Tonight” discussing tariff results

 

From the Daily Caller News Foundation

By Hailey Gomez

Vice President JD Vance said Thursday on Newsmax that he believes Americans will “reap the benefits” of the economy as the Trump administration makes a “big transition” on tariffs.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 1,679.39 points on Thursday, just a day after President Donald Trump announced reciprocal tariffs against nations charging imports from the U.S. On “Rob Schmitt Tonight,” Schmitt asked Vance about the stock market hit, asking how the White House felt about the “Liberation Day” move.

“We’re feeling good. Look, I frankly thought in some ways it could be worse in the markets, because this is a big transition. You saw what the President said earlier today. It’s like a patient who was very sick,” Vance said. “We did the operation, and now it’s time to make the patient better. That’s exactly what we’re doing. We have to remember that for 40 years, we’ve been doing this for 40 years.”

“American economic policy has rewarded people who ship jobs overseas. It’s taxed our workers. It’s made our supply chains more brittle, and it’s made our country less prosperous, less free and less secure,” Vance added.

Vance recalled that one of his children had been sick and needed antibiotics that were not made in the United States. The Vice President called it a “ridiculous thing” that some medicines invented in the country are no longer manufactured domestically.

“That’s fundamentally what this is about. The national security of manufacturing and making the things that we need, from steel to pharmaceuticals, antibiotics, and so forth, but also the good jobs that come along when you have economic policies that reward investing in America, rather than investing in foreign countries,” Vance said.

WATCH:

With a baseline 10% tariff placed on an estimated 60 countries, higher tariffs were applied to nations like China and Israel. For example, China, which has a 67% tariff on U.S. goods, will now face a 34% tariff from the U.S., while Israel, which has a 33% tariff, will face a 17% U.S. tariff.

“One bad day in the stock market, compared to what President Trump said earlier today, and I think he’s right about this. We’re going to have a booming stock market for a long time because we’re reinvesting in the United States of America. More importantly than that, of course, the people in Wall Street have done well,” Vance said.

“We want them to do well. But we care the most about American workers and about American small businesses, and they’re the ones who are really going to benefit from these policies,” Vance said.

The number of factories in the U.S., Vance said, has declined, adding that “millions of workers” have lost their jobs.

“My town [Middletown, Ohio], where you had 10,000 great American steel workers, and my town was one of the lucky ones, now probably has 1,500 steel workers in that factory because you had economic policies that rewarded shipping our jobs to China instead of investing in American workers,” Vance said. “President Trump ran on changing it. He promised he would change it, and now he has. I think Americans are going to reap the benefits.”

Continue Reading

2025 Federal Election

‘I’m Cautiously Optimistic’: Doug Ford Strongly Recommends Canada ‘Not To Retaliate’ Against Trump’s Tariffs

Published on

 

From the Daily Caller News Foundation

By Jason Cohen

Ontario Premier Doug Ford urged Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney to avoid retaliation against the tariffs President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday.

Trump announced in the White House Rose Garden that he would impose “a minimum baseline tariff of 10%” on all goods entering the United States, with Canada not being included on the list of countries with higher rates. When asked about what Canada’s response would be on “Bloomberg: Balance of Power,” Ford said he was “cautiously optimistic” about Canada’s omission from the higher-tier tariffs and emphasized the importance of a cooperative relationship with the U.S.

WATCH:

“Well, let’s see where these tariffs go. I’m cautiously optimistic that I never saw Canada or Mexico on that list. And it just goes to show you two great countries working together, collaborating together and building relationships,” Ford said. “So again, I’m cautiously optimistic. I think if that’s the case, it’s the right thing for both the U.S and Canada.”

Host Kailey Leinz noted that there are currently tariffs on Canada in place as well as an exemption for goods that are in compliance with the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).

“Does that mean, sir, at least in your mind, that it wouldn’t be appropriate for Canada to retaliate for this at this time?” Leinz asked.

“That is correct. If that’s the case, then I would highly recommend to the prime minister not to retaliate. And let’s carry on a strong relationship,” Ford answered. “Let’s build the American-Canadian fortress around both countries and be the wealthiest, most prosperous, safest two countries in the world.”

Trump declared a national emergency to levy a slew of reciprocal tariffs on what he has deemed “Liberation Day.”

“My fellow Americans, this is Liberation Day, April 2, 2025, will forever be remembered as the day American industry was reborn, the day America’s destiny was reclaimed, and the day that we began to make America wealthy again,” Trump said.

The president also announced that he would proceed with implementing a 25% tariff on “all foreign-made automobiles” that will take effect at midnight.

Ford in March had imposed a 25% surcharge on electricity to New York, Michigan and Minnesota, but promptly rescinded the policy and apologized to Americans on WABC’s “Cats & Cosby” radio show the following day. The tariffs were a retaliatory measure against Trump’s flurry of tariffs against Canada since starting his second term.

Continue Reading

Trending

X